WHAT IS SPELLJAMMER?
[ Home | Shipyard | Items/Spells | NPC | Monsters | Stories/Campaign ]
The Energy System
Energy is what drives the multiverse. Energy manifest itself in all things. Energy is never destroyed, but only converted into another form . Here are some of the energy system known to exist in the multiverse.
1) Mind Energy - Psionic, Psion, Psi: An energy system that is driven by the mind. It is a formidable energy that can be used both for offense or defense. The energy is also used for non-combat situation in societies based on psion energy. Instead of magic, psion is used in everyday social life replacing gadgets and machines in most "quiet mind" societies. Psion based societies are different in that laws about privacy is strictly enforced. A mental attack or rape is a serious offense. Outside a psion society, psionicist are mostly viewed with suspicion and distrust. [SEE PSIONIC]
2) Body Energy - Ki: An energy system that is driven by the body's ability to pool energy into a concentrated form before being released. While most unarmed fighting systems are formidable in their own rights, monks or fighters using ki can be devastating. Power strikes or special styles have been the main stay of most oriental arts. Some schools have perfected one to several form of ki strikes and only teach them to loyal followers. Ki strikes such as "Hurricane Kick", "Death Palm Strikes" or the now famous "Death Touch", associated with the Wing Chung fighting style, are a few of the Ki strike arsenal of most modern fighting societies. The "Death Touch" is said to pool ki energy in the hands before being released in a devastating strike on an opponent.
Ki energy is not all combat related, but have been successfuly used in everyday life in oriental societies. Qi Gong is a healing art used to heal people with Ki energy. Along with herbal and acupuncture, Qi Gong helps remedy most ailment of citizens. Even ordinary people who never used Ki before can sometimes find the connection to this energy in times of stress and emergency. There are a lot of reports of mothers lifting heavy items off their children with supernatural strength or people doing impossible feats like jumping wide chasm while being chased by crazed orcs. Another rumored use is to power the Tsunami Ships of the Wa nation. How this is done is beyond the scope of this report. [SEE SPELLJAMMER/WA/TSUNAMI]
Ki energy is also used inward to help the body. Ki healing is one major factor that most monks are immune to disease and able to regenerate wounds and damage faster than natural healing. The "Iron Skin" style is a practice of improving the toughness of the body. Most advance practitioner are able to withstand blade attacks without damage being registered. The "Light Skills" style allows ki to be used to lighten a body to the point of being able to jump higher or touched the ground lightly. The ability to run across a body of water, climb walls, just almost fly across rooftops or just stand on a small tree limb are a few skills attributed to the light skills. The opposite is also true where a ki energy is used to anchor oneself to the fabric of space itself and used ki to move immense objects.
Ki strikes can go beyond the perimeter of the body. Most advance monks have been known to throw ki energy across a room with devastating power. A grandmaster once demonstrated to the emperor how he can detect items or person through a wall and deliver a deadly ki strike to the subject. One practitioner ability to break any particular brick in a layered stack of bricks demonstrated ki's ability to be directed. The ability to extend Ki energy to weapons or outside the body is another trait of Ki practitioner. Shaping Ki energy to a particular weapon takes years to develop, only a few have learned two weapons and only grandmasters or long time practitioners can even boast mastery of 3 weapons. Highly placed practitioner can manifest special abilities by manipulating their Ki. Some special abilities seen before are wall of air, fire, stones, or water surrounding the person by his use of Ki energy to manipulate the materials both for protection and attack strikes. Most masters will specialize in one "elemental" force defense and attack. One master was observed generating electrical charge used for electrical Ki strikes.
Oriental ninjitsu societies teaches ki based spell like abilities using gestures, body positions and chanting to shapes and directs the energy into the proper desired function. Invisibility, Ki barrier shield, Ki death strikes, Ki shields and Ki sense are but a few of the power of the ninja. Controlled hibernation and near death abilities allow ninjas to wait for enemies or escape capture and later exhumed by compatriots from burial plots.
A few advance martial societies also are able to fashion pure Ki weapons by pure will alone. A pure Ki sword or naginata can be devastating weapon and a Ki shield a formidable protection. Only one report was ever submitted to the imperial court of a practitioner using Ki to shape a Ki bow and arrow weapon.
3) Internal Energy - Mutation, Natural Abilities: This has been identified as arcane energy, but the ability proves to be beyond arcane magic. Magical like abilities are present in certain creatures, monsters and humanoids. The energy used is both inate and second nature to the user. It is not necessary that the creature knows about the energy being available, but control is possible after the first manifestation of the power. Creatures can control and master the abilities quicker with proper mentoring. There is no preparation time needed and energy recovery is automatic. Where most magic will not function, internal energy are able to manifest itself. Internal energy will sometimes mimic arcane energy, but may function differently from arcane based spells.
Mutation based abilities can appear in all creatures, but the percentage is minimal. Nilbogism is an example of mutation in goblins that cause adverse effect to it's surrounding. Some mutation have manifested itself as special abilities that other of the same group does not possess.Mutation sometimes allow spells, psionics or extra abilities that creatures do not have access normally. A person manifesting a spider-like wall climbing abilities, exceptional strength and exceptional senses is a mutant. Mutation are different from each creature affected and can manifest differing effects. [SEE AD&D: MUTANT]
4) Arcane Energy - When one thinks of magic this energy is the one powering the magic. Raw magical energy usually manifest itself as wild magic, spellfire or silverfire.
a) High Magic - Cooperational, Mythal (Elvish)
b) Arcane Magic - Most magic used in the multiverse
c) Rune Magic - Sigil, Sign, Rune, Mark
d) Inkist Magic - Tatoo based magic
e) Temporal Magic - Time related
f) Wild Magic - Use of raw magical energies
g) Spellsinger/spelldancer - Musical/dance based magic
h) White Magic - White witches sorcery
i) Black Magic - Black witches sorcery
j) Grey Magic -
k) Elemental Magic
- Elemental - Earth, Air, Water & Fire
- Para-elemental - Ooze (Mud), Ice, Smoke & Magma
- Positive energy - Minerals, Mist, Lightning & Radiance
- Negative energy - Dust, Salt, Vaccuum, & Ash
l) Spellfire -
m) Silverfire -
n) Dwarven Forge Magic
o) Artistic Magic - Painting, Item creation
p) Artificer - Magic Craftsman
q) Sun Magic (Astromundi)
r) Incantatrix - practitioners of metamagic in Faerûn, studying spells that affect other
spells and having a particular fondness for magic that thwarts extraplanar beings.
s) Crystal Magic - Crystal/gem based magic
t) Epic Magic
u) 10th Level Magic - Hurricane, Tornado, Lightning Storm, earthquake, Cataclysm
5) Divine Energy
a) Faith Magic
b) Quest Magic
c) Cooperational Magic
e) Rune Magic
6) Elemental Energy
7) Spirit Energy
a) Life Force Energy -
b) Spirit Force Energy -
8) Science Based Energy - Electrical Devices, Energy Weapons, Tech-Mage, Techo-Mage:
9) Universal Energy - Radiation, Positive Energy, Negative Energy:
[ Home | Shipyard | Items/Spells | NPC | Monsters | Stories/Campaign ]
© Ariel Sibal 2002-2005